Passion has returned to fashion! October 2009
By Auretha Callison
Something crazy and wonderful has happened. Something so wild that it inspires me to write at 8 a.m. A blue moon? Free National health care? Nope, not yet. What we have here is a full-scale fashion orgasm! Passion has returned to fashion. Creativity exploded on the runways and blew over onto our conservatively and economically starved dirt-road reality. Art has come to town.
This is a boon for consignment stores. Pull out everything from the back of your closet. It’s time to celebrate! Fashion has become FUN again!
Some say it’s a throwback to the 80’s. I would say it’s an 80’s high on bling.
There are some new fun ‘rules’ in town and I thought you’d like to know.
1. You can mix denim with denim again! The object is to avoid the look of a matching denim suit. Wear it light with dark, heavy with thinner fabric-and make it interesting. Studs are all the rage! Pyramid studs have quickly lost my interest. Stud it any way you like. (Check out Western Design reports right now on my facebook page. Wow.)
2. Shoulder pads are back! YES! say shoulder-challenged women everywhere. No, they are not the heavy, thick pads of the past. They are quirkier and perkier, tilting up and out. Bring out the 80’s jackets and have them nipped in at the waist. Full long jackets are belted high. Cropped jackets and bomber jackets are out in full force.
3. Turtlenecks are no longer an albatross around the neck. (The young ones were making fun of us older, colder women for awhile. Wearing a turtleneck was akin to wearing “mom jeans”.) It needs to be thin and sleek. You know those rib knits aren’t flattering – they hug every extra roll. Donate the old ones and get yourself the sleek cashmere variety that doesn’t lead to turkey neck. Throw a cool dress on over it!
4. Boots boots boots boots boots. Even with sundresses.
Short little boots go with almost everything now.
PLEATED PANTS ARE BACK. I know, sit down. So they’re cropped! Mostly. You really have to go pick up a magazine to see it done right. (The Aniston Elle is inspiring)
5. Feathers are still for more than the birds! FUR. Fake. Animal prints. Spots.
6. Plaids and tartans. None for me, but you can if you want. I was over it in the 80’s.
7. Jeans are ripped again. Or not. You can still wear bootcut jeans – just make sure they’re dark and sleek. They DO look good on everyone. But if you have that fun ripped pair, wear them now.
The proportion looks like big jackets and skinny pants and tights. Leggings are definitely back and I’m sure they will be abused again. PLEASE don’t get lazy with leggings. Make sure they look really good with an outfit designed for their wear. Thank you.
8. Jewelry. More is more is more. Layer on bangles and bracelets. Make the necklace big. Monstrously big, gaudy bling-y necklace-meets-bib necklace. Crazy and lovely. HUGE rings. (I told you it was the big O.)
An artistic cornucopia of textures and patterns and visual delights is now being served up for anyone who lives to have fun. Here is your feast. Dive in and dine well!
Auretha Callison, the Conscious Image Stylist www.intuitionstyling.com